Uplift Financial – incubating at Cogo Labs – is seeking a software engineering intern to help us explore new ways to improve the world of finance for consumers.
In this role, you’ll take a new online property from concept to deployment to enable our strategic growth in this area. You’ll run A/B tests to optimize performance, and, if all goes well, prepare the property for increased scale. Throughout, expect support from Uplift’s top-notch engineers, designers, and analysts to get this thing built well, and get it real users.
How we work
Our engineering team is just a few people today, and we move quickly but thoughtfully. Armed with insights from our analytics team and Cogo Labs' competitive intelligence tools, and with technical support from the incubator's stellar engineering team, we're able to do the right things, and do them fast. To enable this without losing code quality, we use GitHub for project management (we prioritize weekly) and code reviews, and make full use of test suites and CI tools. Our technology includes:
- Git/GitHub for version control, project management, and knowledge-sharing throughout the incubator
- TravisCI to run our builds
- Docker for containerization
- Kuberenetes for orchestration
- AWS infrastructure
- Postgres and MySQL databases
- Python (Django) for our web app
- Vanilla (for now) HTML/CSS/JS on the front end
- Python scripts to automate email and other internet traffic campaigns
- Weekly catered lunches and a fully-stocked kitchen
- Opportunities to interact with 100+ incredibly talented colleagues around the incubator
- Amazing team outings!
What you need
- Junior (2020 grad) in Computer Science or equivalent discipline
- A strong interest learning how to grow a business (we’re less than 20 people today)
- Fluency in Python
- Experience working with MacOS or Linux development tools
- Familiarity with SQL and database design
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication
- Humility and curiosity for technology and business alike
- Previous startup or financial services experiences or internships
- Interest in and knowledge of budgeting, investing, or behavioral economics
The world of consumer finance is complex and poorly understood. Uplift Financial simplifies the process of making better financial decisions. Today, our focus is helping consumers find credit products that actually help them get on the right track - no payday loans here. As we grow, we'll be adding new product categories until we're a trusted advisor for every decision in our users' financial lives.
We're a team of Cogo Labs engineers, analysts, and managers, working in a rapidly-growing market with the support of Cogo Labs' engineering and business expertise.
What we value
We have our values written down in our wiki, and we stick to them. If you think these are important, you'll fit in well.
- We treat users and each other honestly, fairly, and with respect.
- We are held accountable for our work and our company's results.
- We are unwavering in our pursuit of excellence.